"The hunger and thirst for knowledge, the keen delight in the chase, the good humored willingness to admit that the scent was false, the eager desire to get on with the work, the cheerful resolution to go back and begin again, the broad good sense, the unaffected modesty, the imperturbable temper, the gratitude for any little help that was given - all these will remain in my memory though I cannot paint them for others." Frederic William Maitland


Saturday, January 15, 2011

Schoology.com

Tired of competing with social networking? Check out Schoology.com, a grading program designed in the same format as facebook. I began using this with the start of the new year in order to revamp and organize my classroom. I also believe it has the capacity to make what we do more transparent which I believe is an important link between students, parents and teachers.

Schoology has profiles just like facebook, privacy settings which keep it as a school community, a gradebook, attendance record, a discussion board, blog, and a test generator. Put simply, it combines social networking with learning management.

It has been amazing working on this with my students in the first week, and I hope to keep it up with a creative and transparent way of connecting learning to the real world.

Reviews from students so far include:

"This is a very unique way to do work in class. I think that the majority of the students will enjoy Schoology since it has the appeal of Facebook. We'll be able to turn in work and do assignments in a new way allowing versatility."

"I think this is a very good way for students and teachers to stay organized. Also, I think if the students cooperate with the program then it will turn out to be very good. Also, this saves the teachers from grading papers, the students from writing on paper, and it keeps the class quiet."

Another bonus, it has the potential to cut down the amount of paper used in your classes, along with the amount we are carrying home each night. Nearly everything can be done on this website!

No comments:

Post a Comment